ISLAMABAD: Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said I will resign if I am verified guilty by the commission formulated to investigate Panama Papers
accusations. He was addressing the nation earlier today.
"I challenge everyone who accused me of tax fraud to
present evidence. If any of charges of wrongdoing are proved, I will resign
instantly," Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif said.
The PM said he is writing a letter to the Chief Justice of
Pakistan to form of a commission to investigate accusations against him and his
family.
“I’m asking the Chief Justice to lead the judicial commission,
which will investigate exposes made in the Panama Papers,” he said. He also
promised to accept the commission’s recommendations.
Nawaz said that some elements are trying to weaken Pakistan in
the garb of Panama Leaks.
"I took the nation into confidence instantly after the
issue textured. I ordered the formation of a judicial commission under a
retired supreme court judge’s supervision," he said.
“We have answered such accusations in the past and we will do it
again, because we believe that as a democratic government and legislatures of
the people, it is our duty to answer these accusations.
"The commission has not yet been established, but people
are already passing judgments.”
The PM said the obligatory government has always supported
accountability, and has also taken steps to guarantee that the taxpayers’
directory is public on FBR’s website.
"When I was told that the details of assets of public
representatives were removed from the election commission’s website, I took
notice of the issue and asked Ishaq Dar to re-issue these details," he
added.
The PM said he is only answerable to the common people, and not
to those politicians busy in scoring political points.
He also said the media should confirm facts before publicizing
them.
Almost the entire leadership of political parties described
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif’s address to nation as extremely disappointing.
The prime minister’s address comes a day after Army Chief
General Raheel Sharif dismissed high-ranking military officers over corruption
charges.
The Sharif family has officially deprived of that any of the
corporations mentioned in Panama Papers were owned or run by Prime Minister
Nawaz Sharif. Their statement also emphasized the fact that the corporations
owned by Hussain and Hassan Nawaz were legal entities and that the leaks had
actually alleged no wrongdoing against the family, just named the companies and
the owners.
The Panama Papers have named PM’s daughter Maryam Nawaz and his
sons Hasan and Hussain, with records showing purchases of real estate in London
through offshore companies administrated by the firm.
The Panama Papers are the result of an investigation by more
than 100 media groups – one of the largest such probes in history – showed the
hidden offshore dealings by around 140 political figures — including 12 current
or former heads of state.

No comments:
Post a Comment